I was reminded this weekend of how thankful I am for a strong core. I had the pleasure of moving last week – and when I say pleasure – I mean my new home office view is amazing – now that everything is unpacked and order has been restored. (A big thanks to J for encouraging us to do that as quickly as possible.) And among the move – I also launched Enjoy SUP and took 3 groups of new paddlers out on a Stand Up Paddleboard for the first time! SUPer fun – and I encourage everyone to get out and find their joy on the water! (Check out www.EnjoySUP.com – especially if you are in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.)
Both of those activities last weekend certainly taxed my entire core! I will admit to using a little icy hot one night – but I was glad that I have been doing this core exercises for the past 3 weeks. The Renegade Row, ½ Kneeling Kettlebell Press and the Same-Side Bird Dog Row absolutely served me well! I hope you have been enjoying them – and here is one more to strengthen your core for whatever summer brings your way!
Side Wall Plank is going to really challenge your obliques – along with your shoulders. If you have any shoulder or wrist pain or are coming back from an injury, I would recommend skipping this one. BUT – if you are totally healthy and want a big challenge – let’s get started!!!
- Start in a side plank position, with the bottom hand on the floor and both feet up against the wall. Yep – you head me correctly – you are balancing your body weight on one arm with the leverage of your feet on the wall.
- Position your hand so it is below your shoulder. The lower you place your feet on the wall, the more challenging the exercise will be.
- Once in position, gently tuck your ribs down toward your hips, contract all of your core muscles and squeeze your glutes
- Take a big inhale, smile and on the exhale slowly lower your bottom leg toward the floor.
- Keep smiling and on the inhale bring it back to the starting position.
- Make sure your bottom leg is as relaxed as possible so your core muscles do the majority of the work.
- Aside from your bottom leg, your body should remain completely still.
- Repeat 10x on each side and then switch.
Whew! If you have been following along and doing the exercises your core is on its way to being amazing! Keep it up – as you never know what life is going to throw at you – and it is much easier to catch something with a strong core!
Move your body, put good things in and ENJOY every day!