A friend sent me this kale meme the other day:
Which got me thinking – why do people hate kale so much? I LOVE kale! I love making kale salads, kale chips and wilted kale – although I DON’T like it in my smoothies. Yuck! But seriously – I love kale. I know that it is probably played out and trite – it is not the new kid on the block anymore. However, it is still SUPER good for you! And – here are 5 reasons why you should be eating kale!
3 EASY Kale Recipes
3 suggestions about how to add more kale to your day.
- Kale is low in calories, high in fiber and FULL of nutrients. One cup has only 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber and 0 grams of fat. It is great for aiding in digestion and elimination with its great fiber content. It’s also filled with so many nutrients, vitamins, folate and magnesium. It also has MORE iron than beef per calorie. Iron is essential for good health including transporting oxygen throughout the body, cell growth and proper liver function.
- It is filled with powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants, such as carotenoids and flavonoids help protect against various cancers.
- It is a great anti-inflammatory food. One cup is filled with 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids, which help, fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders.
- It is high in Vitamin C and calcium. Vitamin C is helpful for your immune system, your metabolism and your hydration. Per calorie, kale has more calcium than milk, which aids in preventing bone loss, preventing osteoporosis and maintaining a healthy metabolism.
- Finally, it’s tasty! Ok … perhaps that is not a scientific benefit – but I don’t like putting things in if I don’t like the taste – and I really do like kale!
So – there you have it. What are you going to make with kale today?
Move your body, put good things (like kale) in and ENJOY every day!