I am certain that nobody is walking around wanting to do burpees. Right? I can just hear the groans now. But seriously – they are so awesome – for more than one reason. It turns out that your body is the best piece of enjoyout equipment every built – SO awesome, right? Plus – they put together a bunch of the movements you have already been practicing: squat, plank, push up – and they add a fun reason to celebrate and yell Woo Hoo at the end. (Trust me on that last part. It really does work and makes the burpee so much more fun!)
Here are a few reasons why burpees deserve a place in your weekly workout rotation:
They are really the total package. They beat out isolation moves like triceps kickbacks or leg extensions in a heartbeat (or bunches of heartbeats, which makes them even better)! Burpees are the real deal, and they work out most of the muscles in your body: your chest, shoulders, and triceps with a push-up, your butt, hamstrings, and quads with the squat and stand, your calves with the jump, and your back and abs with the jumping your feet back and forward. The only muscles that DON’T get worked are your “pulling” muscles (upper back and biceps).
They are perfect for Life Fitness. Who cares how much you can lift if you can’t play with your kids or take out the trash without getting winded? Life Fitness is all about being fit for your activities of daily life, and there are no better exercises to improve your Life Fitness than burpees! Between the resistance training and cardio, it’s an all-in-one exercise that will get you crazy fit.
You can do them Everywhere. No weights? No worries! No space for a home gym? Big deal! Traveling on business? Great! Burpees are a bodyweight exercise that can be done anywhere and at any time. All you need is enough space to perform a push-up, and can do a burpee.
They are versatile. Want to focus on your cardio? Burpees are the way to go! Need to develop more functional strength? Burpees can hack it! It doesn’t matter whether you’re doing burpees can be adapted to suit your needs.
They are good for endurance. While most resistance training focuses on raw strength and power, this movement also adds endurance work. By doing more burpees, you will get your body in tip-top shape regarding muscular endurance, cardiovascular endurance, AND flexibility.
Are you ready to move your body and ENJOY?
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, weight in your heels, and your arms at your sides.
- Take a deep breath. Smile and push your hips back, bend your knees, and lower your body into a squat.
- Place your hands on the floor directly in front of, and just inside, your feet. Shift your weight onto them.
- Take another deep breath, exhale and keep smiling. Jump your feet back to softly land on the balls of your feet in a plank position. Your body should form a straight line from your head to heels. Be careful not to let your back sag or you butt stick up in the air, as both can keep you from effectively working your core.
- Inhale and jump your feet back so that they land just outside of your hands.
- Reach your arms over head and explosively jump up into the air and here is where you yell (out loud) “Woo Hoo”! I am not kidding – try and yell “Woo Hoo” and not smile!
- Land and immediately lower back into a squat for your next rep. This is important – even if you are not doing another one. Land in a squat to save your joints!
That was so much fun! And you are amazing for trying a burpee. Note – if the jumping back is too difficult – no worries – just step your feet back into a squat.
Now – 9 more and you can call it a day! Or do 3 sets of 10 – or just randomly do one or 5 during a commercial.
Move your body. Put goods things in. ENJOY every day!