Are you ready for some planking? This is such a great exercise – and you really can do it anywhere. (Who remembers the Planking Challenge from a few years ago? People were literally planking everywhere!) No equipment needed!
The plank is one of the best exercises you can do for your core because it builds isometric strength to help sculpt your waistline and improve your posture. Plus, you will also engage your back, arms, shoulders, glutes, and hamstrings. Super fun!
Here is how to do a basic plank:
- Lie face down with legs extended and elbows bent and directly under shoulders.
- Feet should be hip-width apart, and elbows should be shoulder-width apart.
- Take a deep breath and smile! Contract your abs, then tuck your toes to lift your body (forearms remain on the ground).
- You should be in a straight line from head to heels.
- Don’t let your hips drop. Keep breathing and smiling.
- Hold for 60 seconds or as long as you can.
- Slowly lower down and smile.
Yea! You have just completed a plank! A couple of things to remember.
- Keep your elbows directly under your shoulders. This will help to protect your rotator cuffs.
- Engage your core – meaning pull your bellybutton into your spine.
- It will help to protect your lower back.
- Also engage your quads. Use your strong legs to help support you in this position.
There are MANY other versions of the plank and I will post about them in the future. Right now – just get your body down on the floor and do a basic plank. I sometime challenge myself to do planks during commercials if I am watching tv. A great way to sneak them in!
Remember – move your body, put good things in and ENJOY every day!